1/2 cup Split Bengal Gram (Chana Dal)
1 cup grated Coconut (Khopra/Narial)
1 cup Jaggery
4 tablespoon Clarified Butter (Ghee)
5 Cashewnut (Kaju)
5 crushed Cardamoms
2 tablespoon chopped Coconut (Khopra/Narial)
How to make Channa Dal Payasam
- Wash and soak the gram.
- Melt a part of the ghee in a pan , add the coconut pieces and fry till golden brown over a medium flame drain, remove and keep aside.
- In the same ghee add the cashew nuts and over a low flame fry till golden brown and keep aside.
- Extract coconut milk by soaking the grated coconut in about half a cup of hot water for 10 minutes and then pass the mixture through a strainer.
- Boil the gram in a sauteuse with just sufficient water to cook the gram.
- When the gram is cooked add the jaggery and the coconut milk.
- Cook till the mixture is thick stirring once in a while so that it does not get burnt.(make sure the mixture does not become very thick, it should be of pouring consistency).
- Add the remaining ghee and the cardamoms. mix thoroughly.
- Serve garnished with the fried coconut pieces and the cashew nuts.